Monday 20 December 2010

ManCandy Monday: All My Secrets by Venus Envy

Have you been tempted by slash fiction but you just can't quite find the right fic to get going? Apprehensive of getting into one of the longer fics in case it's not your thing? Want something short and sweet, without too many graphic lemons and witha HEA so you can test the water?

All My Secrets by Venus Envy is what you're looking for.

First, it's short. Eight chapter, 23,000 words, you can pretty much read it in one sitting if you want to. But because it's mnore that a one shot, you get a bit of backstory. The plot concentrates on Jasper's gradual reaslisation that his friendship with Edward isn't just friendship, and takes a respectful aqnd sesitive look at how he 'comes out', when he never realised he was gay to begin with.

The character's are interesting (even Mike Newton is likeble), the storyline is intriguing enough to leave you wanting more but answers all your questions and although there is lemon material, it's not as harshly lit as it often is in slash fics. It also has the teeniest amount of almost-kink in it that is so erotically written you'll find yourself squirming and breathing heavily right along with Jasper.

"Hey, Alice," I said as she approached me. "How are finals going for you?"

She tilted her head to the side, pursing her lips before she answered. "Well, I made it through the worst of it. Just finished my calculus exam. How about you? You look a little stressed." Alice sat on the grass in front of me. I was certain her thick tights were not providing any protection from the cold ground, so I took off my jacket and handed it to her.

"I'm fine," she insisted trying to wave it away.

"At least sit on it," I pleaded. I intended to talk to her and I was sure it wouldn't be a quick hi-and-bye conversation.

She sighed in defeat, taking the jacket from me and sliding it beneath her knees.

"Thank you," she said. "Anyway, what's going on? Finals getting to you, Mister Professional Sophomore?"

"Uh...actually," I rubbed at the back of my neck nervously, "it's a little more complicated than that."

I looked down at the yellow grass between us, avoiding eye contact as I searched for the words to start a conversation that may or may not change my life forever.

"Is this about you being in love with Edward?" Alice asked, shocking the breath straight out of my lungs.
Searching for my voice, I looked up, meeting her gaze.

"I'm...not in love with Edward," I said finally.

"Oh, right. Sorry. I thought that's what you wanted to talk about. What is it then?" She looked at me innocently.

I shook my head, letting out a frustrated groan. "I just...I don't know."

"You don't know what you want to talk about," Alice asked, tilting her head again. She knew damn well what was going on. She was just baiting me, wanting me to come right out and say it.

"I do know, I just...I don't know," I said dumbly.

"Ah," she nodded, "well, that makes sense then."

"I'm not in love with Edward, but...there's definitely something there," I said quietly.

"You care about him," she remarked. It wasn't a question.

"Of course I do."

"But it isn't love."

I shook my head, knowing this conversation was getting us nowhere.

"What is it then?" She asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know. Curiosity?"

"Mmm...That is a definite something," she replied. "Are you more curious about Edward, or yourself though?"

I thought about her question for a while before answering. "Myself."

She nodded.

"I already know who Edward is. He's funny and kind and thoughtful...sure of himself without being an asshole, and secure with who he is..." I trailed off wondering where all that came from.

Alice smiled at me knowingly. "You do love him," she said.


I highly recommend this if you're slash/curious but not sure whether you'll like it. It's an interesting and endearing journey alongside Jasper, from being the new kid in College to being the love of Edward's life, with nothing too traumatic or risqué, but plenty of emotion and depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment