Tuesday 9 November 2010

Behind Enemy Lines


This is a Jasper/Bella 'Twilight:New Moon' Fanfic for NaNoWriMo.
Currently being cross-posted to FF.net and TwiWrite.

Rated M for strong language, dark themes and naughty thoughts while staring at Jasper's butt.
Nominated in the Sparkleteer Rare Gem Awards - Most Original Storyline
Main Chars: Jasper, Bella, Darkward, Esme
Pairings: Edward/Bella, later Jasper/Bella
Genre: Angst/Mystery/Romance
Beta'd by: Cowgirl_Amber & Dangerkitty

Teaser: From Chapter 1 - A Fledgling Alliance

JPOV

Thanks for loaning me this book Jasper. You were right, it was a really interesting read.” She continued to smile, pushing more sincerity at me.

You're welcome Bella. By all means, borrow any others from my study that interest you.” I returned her smile, tucking the book under my arm.

She hesitated momentarily then continued. “Oh, feel free to recommend something else. I've seen how many books you have. I wouldn't know where to start. Besides, I'm sure you'd rather I read something with as few historical inaccuracies as possible.”

Edward threw her an sharp look but she had already turned her attention towards Emmett, flopping down onto the floor beside him as she swiped the spare controller and proceeded to lose the first round squarely to her second favourite Cullen. Edward momentarily cocked his head in my direction, no doubt listening in to my thoughts, but I was already feigning boredom by then, translating the sonnets of Shakespeare into Mandarin. He frowned, huffed slightly, then returned his attention to Bella, leaving me to slip away to my study unhindered.

I was keen to work out why Bella had returned a book to me that wasn't mine.

BPOV

I tried to concentrate on the game so as not to give myself away and it paid off when I actually won the third round against Emmett. He immediately swooped me up and began spinning me around the room as I cheered for myself and Edward shook his head at us, trying to contain the crooked smile that was creeping across his face. I was glad I had managed to finally beat Emmett at something, no matter how small, but even more so I was hugely relieved that his antics diverted the attention of the others away from the exchange between Jasper and myself just a short while before.

I was fairly certain that no one would think it was anything out of the ordinary but had been cautious just in case. We were both bookworms, so I hoped my borrowing a book from the silent Hale twin would not be seen as unusual and I had known Jasper would own books about the civil war from a heated discussion that followed a recent movie night. I had insisted we watch 'Gone With the Wind' and had been made aware of Jasper's interest in the period when Emmett began making fun of him for muttering under his breath about various historical inaccuracies. I had been unsure how to give the book to him until right before I walked in the door, when it had occurred to me that sending my emotions into over drive would probably get his attention. If he hadn't played along and pretended the book was his, I would have had to play it off as being a forgetful human moment, but he had taken the hint and followed my lead.

All I had to do now was wait patiently to see whether the answer was yes or no.

1 comment: